I used Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable. It is a 4 medium in weight and called Echo and I used a size 6mm or J afghan hook. Also a size 5mm/H crochet hook for the border.
This hat is crocheted straight (working stitches onto our hook and taking them off - not in the round)
Tunisian Knit Stitch = Putting all your stitches onto your hook and then taking them all off is considered 1 row (it is 2 parts going there and coming back that makes 1 row. So if I say do 1 row, you would put your stitches on and then you would take them off)
tks = tunisian knit stitch
sc = single crochet, Ch = chain
1. Ch 88 stitches
2. Going into the 2nd ch from the hook, bring up a stitch and keep it on your hook. Go into each of the chains and leave the stitch on the hook
Now you take them off the hook by Going through 1 loop and then going through 2 loops at a time till they are all off your hook.
3. You always skip the first bar, and go in between the next stitch, pull up a loop and keep it on your stitch, keep putting on a new stitch.
4. FINDING THE END STITCH - an easy way
5. After doing number 2 and 3 (that made 1 row) you will do another 15 rows (giving you 16 rows of tunisian knit stitch - measuring about 3 inches
6.(Row 17) Tunisian Knit 3 stitches (the one that was already on your hook is the 1st, so that gives you 4) and decrease 1, *Tunisian Knit 4, decrease 1* repeat in between the stars to the end of the row ending with Tunisian Knit 4 = 74 stitches remaining
Take stitches off your hook
7.(row 18) Tunisian knit stitches onto hook and take them off
8. (I say row 19 on video) We decrease here again.
Tks in the next 2 stitches, decrease 1, *tks in the next 3 stitches, 1decrease* repeat this to the end, ending with tks last 4 stitches
take stitches off hook (60 stitches left now)
9. ( row 20) tks onto your hook and take them off (60 stitches)
10. (row 21) Tks 1 stitch, 1 decrease *tks 2 stitches, 1 decrease* to the end, ending with tsk the last 4 stitches (46 stitches remaining)
11. (row 22 and 23) Both rows you will just Tks across and take your stitches off
12. (row 24) Tks 1, 1 decrease, *tks 2, decrease 1* repeat this (35 stitches) ending with 2 tks. Take stitches off hook
13. (rows 25 and 26) you will tsk across and take them off
14. (row 27) tks 1, decrease 1, *tks 2, decrease 1* repeat this to the last 3 and tks the last 3 stitches (27 stitches), Take stitches off hook
15. (row 28) tks 1, decrease 1, *tks 2, decrease 1* repeat this (21 stitches) Take your stitches off
16. (row 29)* Decrease 1, tks 1,* repeat this (14 stitches) Take your stitches off
17. (row 30) Decrease x6, tks the last stitch, Take the stitches off your hook (8 stitches)
18. (row 31) Decrease x3, tks the last stitch, Take the stitches off your hook (5 stitches)
19. (row 32) Decrease all 5 together, (put all 4 loops onto your hook, and bring a loop through, cut off your yarn and finish
MAKING THE BORDER
1. Using a size 5mm or H crochet hook, Right side facing you, sc 88 stitches along the border of the hat, ss into 1st stitch and chain 1, then do a sc in each of the following 87 stitches = 88 stitches. Joining the other side, slip stitch into the chain you made.
2. Ch1, 1sc in each of the sc = 88 stitches. I did 2 rows of sc but if you want to do more than that it will be fine (remember it will make your hat longer the more rows you do)
3. Ss into the 1st sc, (88 stitches) and Ch1, 1sc in each of the next 4 stitches,
into the next sc you do 1sc, ch7, 1sc,
*1sc into the next 7,( 1sc, ch7, 1sc) into the next sc* repeat this to the last 2 sc and do 1sc in each of those. ss into 1st sc
4. Ch3, skip the next sc, 1sc in the next stitch, skip the next 2sc and do 9sc in the ch7 space, skip the next 2sc and do* 1sc in the next one, 1dc in the next, 1sc in the next, skip the next 2 stitches, 9sc in the ch 7 space, skip the next 2* repeat the instructions between the stars to the end finishing by skipping the last 2 and ss into the top of the beg ch3.
5. * Ch4, 1sc in the 5th sc (of the 9sc you did), ch5, 1sc in the same sc, ch4 and sc in the dc you made on previous round* repeat this all the way around ending with the ch4 and do a sc in the 1st ch of the ch4
6. Ch1, 3sc in the ch4 space, 5sc in the 5ch space, 3sc in the next ch4 space, 1sc in the middle sc (between the ch spaces)
*3sc in the ch sp, 5sc in the 5ch space, 3sc in the next ch sp, 1sc in the sc*to the end, ending with 3sc in the last ch sp, ss into 1st st
Sew your hat together and you are done.